Network members are interested and involved music advocates and community leaders from around the country. They include individuals from all walks of life as well as representative from organisations such as local Councils, Regional Arts Organisations, music retailers and others. The Network draws these individuals and organisations together to stimulate, inform, support and strengthen their collective musical outreach
- The MiCN eNewsletter. A monthly roundup of what’s happening in community music.
- Access to National Music Directory. Find musicians and music organisations in your region and across Australia.
- Also join us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube for regular updates, sharing and discussion.
Membership package for groups, school and institutions.
In your letterbox
- A subscription to Music Forum Magazine - Australia's most interesting quarterly music magazine.
- A Membership Certificate
In your inbox
- Members only discounts on concert tickets, musical instruments, sheet music, CD’s and other merchandise.
- Members only newsletter
Structure & Practicalities
- NEW: Access to the Community Music Online scheme, launching in 2012 to help your group or organisation get online and navigate the tools you can use online. This includes a dedicated page for your group on the MiCN website*
- NEW: Your event could be one of our Featured Events which gives you extra exposure via our front page and other online promotion.
- Free listings and classifieds Spread the word about your group and your upcoming concerts and events both on our website and in our monthly newsletter.
- MiCN public liability insurance for community music organisations. The best possible cover at the best possible price.
- Coming Soon: Access to the online Community Music Toolkit
- Coming Soon: Discounts at MiCN Training & Workshops
People & Personnel
- MICN conferences. Registration discounts for up to three delegates for any of our conferences around the country. These invaluable networking opportunities to share skills, workshop challenges and celebrate success.
- Invitations and discounts to Music Council of Australia events including the only conference examining the full breadth of musical activity in Australia, the MCA National Assembly, bringing together people from across the entire music sector.
- Actively contribute to the only national network for all Community Music in Australia.
- Coming Soon for Orchestral Members: Additional orchestral events and programs, in place of The Orchestras of Australia (TOAN) activities. Discounts on event registration for up to three members
Practise & Pedagogy
- Coming Soon for Orchestral Members: Access to the National Music Lending Scheme. Access and share music scores and parts with ensembles across Australia.
- Access to MiCN Music Mentors. Experts who lead online sessions about a range of management and musical issues.
Virgin Australia Music Industry Baggage Allowance
As you may know, Virgin Australia is offering additional baggage to musicians in partnership with a number of industry bodies. Since the Music Council of Australia is one of the eligible Music Industry Bodies, Members of the Music in Communities Network are eligible for the Virgin Australia Music Industry Baggage Allowance:
- 32kg (across three pieces of checked baggage) for individuals
- an additional 32kg able to be purchased in advance for just $15
- The offer applies to musicians who play regularly with MiCN Organisational Member groups, such as bands and orchestras, and Individual MCA Members
- Please note this allowance applies for groups up to nine people, and must be arranged at least 48 hours in advance of travel
- Click here for more information from Virgin Australia.
Terms and Conditions, Privacy and Refunds Policy
Terms and conditions:
The Music in Communities Network is run by the Music Council of Australia. ABN: 85 070 619 608 Only Australian currency is accepted. All prices quoted are in Australian dollars. Please refer to our refunds policy regarding cancellation of your subscription.
If you wish to cancel your subscription before it expires, please advise us by email and the unused portion will be refunded pro rata, from the date of your email. The refund will be made by cheque in Australian dollars.
The Music Council of Australia is committed to protecting your privacy. We ask for the information that allows us to acknowledge our transaction with you, to deliver the services you have requested and to send you information about matters in which you may be interested. Your personal information will not be provided to any other person or organisation. It is that simple.
*Pages for groups is a member benefit introduced in February 2012. Pages are for groups with no web presence, transitioning to a new website, or who just want to have a listing on our site. See Community Music Online for more information.