Local Government Arts & Culture Summit (NSW)
The Music in Communities Network is very happy to be associated with the NSW Local Government Arts & Culture Summit, which is now open for registrations. Local Government is the level of government closest to communities and particularly community music making. Its power and support mechanisms include support for community groups, providing venues, managing and supporting festivals, policy and legislation affecting live music, community cultural development, and much more.
For this reason, the network is very focused on the potential of local government and community music groups to work together. In each state there is a peak organisation representing Local Government and NSW is the first to provide a dedicated Arts & Culture position and program.
The Arts & Culture Awards will be announced at this event and much like our own awards, it will identify the exemplar programs and activities, showing us what is possible and highlighting the potential of Local Government.
Dates: 13-14 November
Venue: Powerhouse Museum, Sydney
Info and Registrations: www.lgsa.org.au
Delegates may include: councillors, council staff with responsibilities for arts or culture, and arts and cultural organisations that collaborate with councils.
The Summit will:
- Provide updates from Government and peak bodies on directions for arts and culture, with a focus on Local Government implications and opportunities;
- Facilitate dialogue with Government and peak bodies to address Local Government arts and cultural priorities. Participate in discussion regarding local government implications and opportunities;
- Address cultural policy priorities identified in the Fourth Cultural Accord between the local and the State spheres of government;
- Engage councils to inform the LGSA arts and cultural program and advocacy for Local Government priorities;
- Showcase a cross section of council arts and cultural initiatives, presented as case studies of good practice;
- Announce the winners of the prestigious Local Government Arts and Culture Awards; and
- Provide development opportunities for councillors and staff
The summit will cover the breadth of council involvement in arts and culture, such as Development of cultural facilities, Cultural development initiatives, Their leadership in planning for and development of the arts, How they have engaged different target groups and Their support to different arts genres and cultural industries.
The Music in Communities Network is one of ten sponsors including the Powerhouse Museum (venue sponsor), State Library of NSW, Department of Family and Community Services, Sydney Institute of TAFE NSW, Museums & Galleries NSW, Accessible Arts NSW, Arts and Health Australia, Young People and the Arts Australia, Indent, a program of MusicNSW.
Visit the LGSA website for more information and to register: www.lgsa.org.au